Privacy Complaint

​Do you believe Council has breached your personal information? 

If so, you can lodge a Complaint Form to Council for investigation.

Your complaint should include:

  • a brief description of your privacy problem,
  • any action Council has taken to fix the problem, and
  • copies of any relevant documents.

We can receive privacy complaints:

  • Via email:,
  • By post: PO Box 82, Gatton QLD 4343,
  • In Person: Customer Service Centre at 26 Railway Street, Gatton, or
  • By telephone: 1300 00 5872.

Please review Council’s Complaints Management Policy & Procedure.

Page reviewed: 20 Nov 2018 1:16pm