Lockyer Valley Regional Council will temporarily close some Council facilities from 8am Tuesday 24 March 2020, until further notice.
The closure will include all Library facilities, the remainder of the Lockyer Valley Cultural Centre (including the Visitor Information Centre, Queensland Transport Museum and Staging Post Cafe) sporting grounds, community halls/centres, the Lockyer Valley Sports and Aquatic Centre and the Dal Ryan Memorial Pool.
Lockyer Valley Mayor, Councillor Tanya Milligan said the decision was based on the most recent Federal Government directives.
"While Council apologises for the inconvenience this temporary closure will cause, we are adamant in the belief we need to do our bit in containing this virus.
"This is uncharted territory and it is vital we take on board the directives from the State and Federal Governments.
"We assure the community we are not removing the services; they are temporarily closed.
"A lot of these facilities have seen a reduction in attendances over the past week.
"We need to remember that we are in this for the long-term and by making these changes now, we will be able to continue our essential services to the community.
"Our number one priority during this difficult time is the health and wellbeing of our community and staff.
"Council will continue to update the community of any further changes to services," Mayor Milligan said.
The closure includes:
• Lockyer Valley Sports and Aquatic Centre and Dal Ryan Memorial Pool - closed.
• Depot - Access limited to supplier deliveries. Loaning equipment will also cease.
• Libraries/Library activities – Lockyer Valley Libraries (Gatton and Laidley) are now closed to the public. Residents can still access eBooks, eAudiobooks, eMagazines and stream movies through our website anytime, anywhere: https://library.lockyervalley.qld.gov.au/
• Remainder of the Lockyer Valley Cultural Centre (including Visitor Information Centre, Queensland Transport Museum, Lockyer Valley Art Gallery and Staging Post Cafe) – closed as per the Australian Government directives. The Staging Post Cafe will not be conducting a take-away service.
• Sporting grounds - closed for all bookings.
• Community halls/centres – closed for all bookings. The Murphys Creek Community Centre will remain a polling booth for the Local Government election on Saturday 28 March 2020.
• Customer Contact Centres - Lockyer Valley Regional Council's Customer Contact Centres are now closed to the public. Residents may use our online services at www.lockyervalley.qld.gov.au or phone 1300 005 872 for any urgent issues.
• Council events - Due to the Australian Government Patronage Guidelines, all Council-run events or Council-partnered events have been postponed or cancelled. Visit www.luvyalockyer.com.au for the latest information.
Waste services, including the collection and access to transfer stations, remains unchanged. The Gatton Childcare Centre will also continue to operate until Council is directed otherwise.
"The situation is constantly evolving, and we appreciate the community's understanding during this time.
"We have increased cleaning and hygiene services at all our public facilities and encourage residents to do the same," Mayor Milligan said.
For all health information visit www.health.qld.gov.au or for non-urgent health advice call 13HEALTH (13 43 25 84).