Investment and Development
Council can assist those seeking to establish or invest in the Lockyer Valley.
The experienced team of professionals can:
- Provide introductions to local business networks
- Link you with local B2B opportunities with suppliers and/or markets
- Help find the resources and tools to help you with evidence-based decision-making.
- Identify potential sites by matching your specifications to available land/properties within the Lockyer Valley.
Contact the Policy and Growth team by phone 1300 00 5872 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
The Lockyer Valley is located in the geographic centre of South East Queensland, with great access to markets by road, air and sea. A major vegetable production area, known as Queensland's Salad bowl, producing 5% of Australia's vegetable production and 20% of Queensland production. The region is also home to the world class University of Queensland Gatton Campus. To find out more about the opportunities in the Lockyer Valley download a copy of the Lockyer Valley Economic Development Strategy.
Examples of some of the exciting projects currently occurring in the Lockyer Valley:
- Expansion of the Southern Queensland Correctional Centre has commenced with Stage 2 works now underway. This $618 million upgrade will deliver more than 400 construction jobs. Lead contractor John Holland is actively engaging with local suppliers and trades throughout the project. Once operational the facility will deliver more than 500 permanent jobs in the region.
- Sophia College opened the doors to students in 2021. This $20 million schools project brings a new secondary catholic college to the Lockyer Valley, providing more choice for local education options.
- A new Queensland Government Gatton Heavy Vehicle Decoupling Facility has been constructed to improve the road network efficiency for freight carrying vehicles. In response to the high use since opening, the facility will be expanded to provide more parking areas. Work is expected to commence in August 2021.
- A Toowoomba to Brisbane Passenger Rail Strategic Business Case is expected to be completed in late 2021. The Australian Government has committed $15 million towards this project and are working with the Queensland Government to investigate the options for passenger rail services that will connect the Lockyer Valley to Brisbane and Toowoomba.
Investment and construction
- Stanbroke continue to grow their operations in the Lockyer Valley and are planning further investment and expansion of the Grantham processing facility to include an additional 3940 m2 value-adding facility for advanced production of ready-to-cook items.
- Lockyer Valley residents will soon have access to a new Aldi supermarket at Plainland. Construction of the new $6.5 million Aldi store is well advanced with the new store opening expected late in 2021.
- Construction has recently been completed for the brand new Gatton Veterinary Surgery. This long established practice had outgrown their existing clinic and have welcomed the move to a new, larger clinic.
- Gatton Meat Centre have also welcomed the move into their newly constructed premises having outgrown their previous store.
Recently completed project in the region include:
- A new 7000m2 Bunnings warehouse at Plainland, a $20 million project including the main warehouse, car parking, outdoor nursery, timber trade sales area and click and collect services.
- Porters Plainland Hotel recently completed their new motel complex. The $8 million redevelopment project includes 16 motel rooms and new function rooms capable of seating 120.
- The Grantham Farmworkers Lodge, a purpose built facility providing accommodation for up to 260 farm workers. There are plans for a second stage consisting of a further 280 beds.
Residential projects continue to meet the demand of a growing population in the Lockyer Valley. Current development projects include:
- Fairways Estate, Hatton Vale
- Horizon Estate, Withcott
- Meadows Estate, Plainland
- Plainland Crossing
- Woodchester Estate, Gatton
- Woodlands Rise, Gatton