Council can assist those seeking to establish or invest in the Lockyer Valley.
The experienced team of professionals can:
- Provide introductions to local business networks
- Link you with local B2B opportunities with suppliers and/or markets
- We know where to find the resources and tools to help you with evidence-based decision-making.
- We can identify potential sites by matching your specifications to available land/properties within the Lockyer Valley.
The Lockyer Valley is located in the geographic centre of South East Queensland, with great access to markets by road, air, sea and in the future Inland Rail. A major vegetable production area, known as Queensland’s Salad bowl, producing 5% of Australia’s vegetable production and 20% of Queensland production. The region is also home to the world class University of Queensland Gatton Campus. To find out more about the opportunities in the Lockyer Valley download a copy of the Lockyer Valley Economic Development Strategy.
Examples of some of the exiting projects currently occurring in the Lockyer Valley:
- Construction has commenced on Sophia College at Plainland. This $20 million schools project will bring to the Lockyer Valley a new secondary catholic college. Sophia College will open and welcome students in 2021.
- In March 2020 Laidley State High School opened their new $10 million learning centre. The new facilities include a Trade Precinct and a Creative Arts Precinct providing up-to-date facilities and resources for students.
- Southern Queensland Correctional Centre Stage 2 will commence in 2020, with a three-year build, costing $618 million and delivering more than 400 construction jobs. Once operational the facility will deliver more than 500 permanent jobs in the region.
- Construction of the Lockyer Valley sections of the Inland Rail project include 2 tunnels, a significant number of bridge and viaduct sections and multiple crossing loops. The Lockyer Valley sections of the project are currently in the EIS stage, with completion expected in 2025.
Investment and construction
- Recently completed, the $20 million Grantham Farmworkers Lodge is a purpose-built facility providing accommodation for up to 260 backpackers and farm workers. There are plans for a second stage consisting of a further 280 beds.
- Stanbroke are currently expanding their existing facility at Grantham. The construction by McNab provides an increase in permanent storage capacity, needed due to ongoing growth, providing the company with efficiency gains in storing, retrieving and processing goods.
- A new 7000m2 Bunnings warehouse at Plainland is set to commence construction in 2020. This $20 million project includes the main warehouse, car parking, outdoor nursery, timber trade sales area, café precinct and click and collect services.
- Porters Plainland Hotel recently unveiled their new motel complex. The $8 million redevelopment project includes 16 motel rooms and new function rooms capable of seating 120.
- Fairways Estate, Hatton Vale
- Horizon Estate, Withcott
- Meadows Estate, Plainland
- Plainland Crossing
- Woodchester Estate, Gatton
- Woodlands Rise, Gatton