Community Development and Engagement Program
Council’s Community Development and Engagement Program works with the community, not for profit groups/associations, human service agencies and across Council to build a connected, inclusive and resilient regional community. Officers apply a community development approach which is grounded on the principles of social justice, human rights, access, equity, inclusion, fairness, self-determination and participation.
The following are some of the key aims of the program:
- Link residents to groups, programs, services and resources that can assist them;
- Develop the capacity of community groups and organisations to be strong, active and sustainable;
- Raise awareness of emerging social trends, issues and drivers impacting the Region and different population groups and localities;
- Engage and work with the community and other stakeholders to identify regional and local area issues, strengths and aspirations;
- Strengthen links and partnerships between community groups, businesses and Government agencies to develop local solutions to local issues;
- Facilitate opportunities for the community service sector to network, share information and collaborate around the planning and coordination of human services and community facilities.
- Foster opportunities for residents, groups and communities to recognise and celebrate their diverse achievements, rich history and unique cultures.
- Assist Council Departments in the design, planning, delivery and evaluation of engagement programs / initiatives.
Community Access and Inclusion:
An important element of community development practice is that of equitable access and community inclusion. Community development practitioners work with diverse population groups, the wider community, service providers, business and Government agencies to identify and raise awareness of equitable access barriers and to come up with solutions to foster an inclusive community where people have access to essential services, and are able to participate and contribute to community life and decision making processes.
Council's Community Engagement Policy is available here.
Council's current consultations can be found here.