Permits and Licensing
If you are looking at starting a business or taking over an existing business, you may require a licence or permit with Council.
Contact Council if you have an enquiry into the licensing and permitting requirements and an Environmental Health Officer will respond to your enquiry with information relating to the following permits, licences, approvals and registrations.
Council licenses and permits the following businesses:
- Food Business (Home based, Cafe/Restaurant, Mobile, Temporary, Water Carrier)
- High Risk Personal Appearance Service (Tattooist/piercing)
- Commercial Use of Local Government Controlled Areas & Roads (roadside vending, itinerant vending, footpath dining, market stall)
- Temporary Home (Living in a caravan)
- Camping Grounds
- Caravan Park
- Shared Facility Accommodation (backpacker hostel)
- Temporary Entertainment Event (festival or public event on Council land)
- Undertaking Regulated Activities on Local Government Controlled Areas & Roads
If you decide to submit a licence/permit application for any of the abovementioned businesses, the application will be assessed in the following manner. Please note, some steps can be skipped depending on the type of application submitted.
The application process for a licence or permit is outlined below:
- Submit licence/ permit application (including prescribed fee) to Council via either email, post or in person
- An Environmental Health Officer will assess the application and contact customer;
a. To acknowledge receipt of the application;
b. For further information; or
c. To conduct an inspection of the premises
- Once the application has been submitted with all the required details,
a. Design Approval & Approved Plans will be sent to applicant
- Council to conduct an inspection of premises
a. Re-inspect if non-compliances found
- Licence issued with conditions until 30 September each year
- Renewal for licence to be sent 60 days before expiry of licence each year
For more information
For more information on food safety, tattoo/piercing, accommodation and roadside vending, please refer back to the Environmental Health page and click the relevant link for the information you are looking for.
For more information Council's Local Law permits, please read the corresponding Subordinate Local Law.
When submitting the application and plans, please either post to PO Box 82 Gatton, Qld 4343 or email to firstname.lastname@example.org rather than emailing individual staff members directly.