Regulated and Unregulated Work

Work to be done by a licensed person: 
ALL Plumbing, drainage and on-site sewerage work other than the "unregulated work" (see list below) must be performed by a licensed plumber and drainer. Penalty Infringement Notices (Fines) apply for work performed without the appropriate license.

Unregulated work that does not require a license:

  • Cleaning or maintaining ground level grates to traps on sanitary drains
  • Replacing caps to ground level inspection openings on sanitary drains
  • Maintaining an above or below ground irrigation system for the disposal of effluent from an on-site sewerage facility
  • Installing or maintaining an irrigation or lawn watering system downstream from an isolating valve, tap or backflow prevention device on the supply pipe for the irrigation or lawn watering system
  • Replacing a jumper valve or washer in a tap
  • Changing a shower head
  • Replacing a drop valve washer, float valve washer or suction cup rubber in a water closet (WC) cistern
  • Replacing a domestic water filter cartridge

All work other than identified above as 'Unregulated Work' MUST be performed by a licensed plumber/drainer.
To check that the Plumber you intend to carry out work for you is Licensed please refer to:

For information pertaining to minor plumbing work, please view the documents below:

Page reviewed: 29 Jun 2018 3:19pm