What are the Rainwater tank requirements in Rural areas?
Where water is not available from a water service provider, the following requirements are necessary:
- Under the existing Gatton Planning Scheme, each new dwelling erected must be provided with a minimum water storage capacity of 45,000 Litres
- Under the existing Laidley Planning Scheme, each new dwelling erected must be provided with a minimum water storage capacity of 22,500 Litres
Please note: In addition to the above mentioned storage, additional requirements may be necessary for firefighting. Please check with your Building Certifier.
Are Rain water tanks required in a full pressure reticulated area?
No - Council does not have a requirement for rainwater tank installations in this shire however, voluntary installation are permissible providing;
- the voluntary installation complies with all legislation, including QDC 4.2 sections 6-13, and
- where applicable, the necessary backflow prevention device/s are installed in accordance with AS/NZS3500.1:2015 and/or the Queensland Plumbing and Wastewater Code.
Please note: Council recognises that a very small percentage of properties located in areas deemed by the service provider as 'full pressure', have insufficient water pressure/flow to meet the requirements of AS/NZS3500.1:2015. This may be due to the location of the dwelling in relation to the water meter or a number of other factors. Where the water pressure/flow rate is inadequate, a suitable storage facility and/or pressure pump is to be installed at the owner’s expense.
What is a Trickle Feed/constant flow area and where are they located?
A Trickle Feed/constant flow area is an area where the service water provider will restrict the flow rate at the water meter to 2-4 Litres per minute. This is normally performed at the completion of dwelling construction or at times selected by QUU (Queensland Urban Utilities). Please check with QUU to determine which area your property is located.
Please note: Due to the water pressure/flow rate being inadequate, a suitably sized storage facility and pressure pump is to be installed in accordance with all legislation at the owner’s expense.
Are Rainwater tanks required in a Trickle Feed/constant flow area?
No, but as outlined above, a suitable and adequate storage facility or tank and pressure pump is to be installed at the owner’s expense.
- The size of the storage tank should be discussed with the plumber. It is recommended a minimum of 5000 litres and;
- It is recommended that the storage tank is solely for the storage of reticulated drinking water supplied by the water service provider however;
- Roof water may discharge into the same tank as the reticulated supply or a separate tank and utilised throughout the building providing;
- The installation complies with QDC 4.2 sections 6-13 and where applicable, the necessary backflow prevention device/s is installed in accordance with AS/NZS3500.1:2015 or the Queensland Plumbing and Wastewater Code.
Please note: The owner or occupier should make themselves aware of the risks and maintenance associated with rain water.
For installation of water meters
Please visit Queensland Urban Utilities Website or contact them on 132 657.