Objecting to a rating category

​​Objections must be lodged on Council’s Notice of Objection form, available from Council’s website or one of Council’s Customer Service Centres in Gatton or Laidley. The posting or lodging of a notice of objection with Council will not, in the meantime, affect the levy and recovery of rates specified in the rates notice.

You are still required to pay your rates by the due date.

The sole ground on which you may object is that, having regard to the criteria determined by Council for categorising rateable land, you consider your land should have been included, as at the date of issue of the rate notice, in another of the rating categories adopted by Council.

An investigation will be completed by Council in accordance with the Rating Categorisation Policy​. If, because of the objection made and Council's investigation reveals that your land is amended to another category, an adjustment to the General rate will be made.

The Process

You must:

Council must:

  • Assess your objection within 60 days of receiving your Notice of Objection. You will receive a letter stating the outcome.
  • If objection is allowed, adjust your rate account. If you have paid your account, a refund may be available to you.
  • If objection is not allowed, no adjustment will be made. If you haven’t paid your rates, any loss of discount & accrual of interest will continue to apply.

This process is governed by the Part 5, Division 4 of the Local Government Regulation 2012
Local Government Regulation 2012

The land owner is liable to pay the amount on the rate notice even if the owner lodges a Notice of Objection with Council. Lodging an objection does not affect the validity of the rate notice. It remains due and payable by the due date.

Page reviewed: 27 Aug 2020 3:02pm