A discount shall be allowed where full payment of the current period rates and charges, plus any overdue rates and charges and interest thereon, is received on or before the due date at a Council customer service centre, an approved agency, or by electronic means, and this payment is recorded on Council’s accounts on or before the due date.
For the twelve months ending 30 June 2021, Council will allow an early payment discount of five percent (5%) subject to the terms above on the below listed Rates and Charges:
- Differential General Rates; and
- Waste Collection and Recycling Charges.
Discount will not be allowed when payments are made by electronic means on the due date but after the designated processing cut-off time of the property owner’s financial institution and that payment was processed by that financial institution after the due date.
No discount is allowable on the following charges which may appear on the rates notice:
- Special Charges;
- Separate Charges not listed above;
- Any property charge relating to the carrying out of Council works on or in connection with the property;
- Any non-rate item included on rate notice;
- Legal costs incurred by Council in rate collection;
- Interest charges on overdue rates;
- Any other rate, charge or amount unless a discount is specifically permitted by this Revenue Statement.
Allowance of early payment discount for late payments
There are limited occasions when payment by the due date is not achieved through circumstances beyond the control of the property owner. The Local Government Regulation 2012 provides Council with a discretionary power to allow discount in such circumstances. All applications must be made in writing for consideration by Council’s duly appointed officer. Payment of rates and charges in full must be paid before Council will consider any allowance of early discount for late payments. The property owner will be notified of the outcome in writing and Council’s decision will be final.
Payments made after the due date
Discount may be allowed if the full payment of the overdue rates and charges is made within the period specified by Council AND the applicant provides proof satisfactory to Council of any of the following:
- illness involving hospitalisation and/or incapacitation of the property owner at or around the time of the rates being due for discount;
- the death or major trauma (accident/life threatening illness/emergency operation) of the property owner and/or associated persons (Spouse/Children/Parents) at or around the time of the rates being due for discount; or
- the loss of records or failure of mail delivery resulting from factors beyond the property owner’s control (Fire/Flood etc).
and Council is satisfied that the event was the cause of the property owner’s failure to make full payment by the due date.
Discount will not be allowed due to the:
- failure of the property owner to ensure that Council was given correct notification of the postal address for service of notices prior to the issue of the rate notices, or
- as a result of the failure of the property owner to ensure that Council was given the correct
notification of the email address for service of the notices prior to the issue of the rate notices where the option for delivery by electronic means has been selected, or
- as a result of a change of ownership, where Council received notification of the change of ownership after the issue of the rates notice; or
- when payments are made by electronic means on the due date but after the designated cut-off time of the property owner’s financial institution and that payment was processed by that financial institution after the due date.
Property owners are obliged to notify Council of their change of address for service of notice in writing. A mail re-direction or verbal communication with Council will not be sufficient notice to Council.