Animal Inspection Program
Council conducts an approved inspection program from time to time in relation to the keeping and control of animals in accordance with Section 133 of the Local Government Act 2009.
This program helps to ensure that animal owners are keeping their animals in accordance with the Animal Management (Cats and Dogs) Act 2008 & Council's Local Laws.
We ensure that people are complying with things such as having their dogs and cats registered, that animals are contained to the property by adequate fencing or enclosures, and to ensure that people are only keeping the number of animals allowed on their property.
The program runs for an identified period of time with clear start and finish dates. We undertake the inspections between 8am - 5pm on business days only. All residential areas within our region are included in this program. The next scheduled program information can be found on the Public Notice page.
Our officers will be identified by Council Identification Cards and they will be in Council vehicles.
A copy of the Council Resolution relating to a particular approved inspection program is available upon request during the actual period of the particular program and copies will be available from our offices located at Gatton and Laidley.
Selective Inspection Program - Dog Registration
Lockyer Valley Regional Council conducts approved selective inspection programs in accordance with Section 113 of the Animal Management (Cats and Dogs) Act 2008.
Such inspection programs are approved by Council and a public awareness campaign will be conducted prior to their commencement. The purpose of the program is to follow up on various animal matters including unregistered dogs and actions are taken in accordance with the Animal Management (Cats and Dogs) Act 2008 and Councils Resolution on this matter.
Should an inspection program in relation to dog registration take place, the following provides the actions taken by Council:
- The owners of such dogs will be issued a Notice requiring the registration of each dog within 3 business days of the date inspection; and
- Should the Notice not be complied with, an Infringement Notice to the value of two (2) penalty units will be issued to the owner for each dog identified as not having its registration renewed.
The confirmation of a person keeping of any other dog over the age of 3 months, and not registered in accordance with the Act, be issued a Notice requiring the registration of each dog:
- Where the dog has been kept within the region for more than 14 days the Notice is to be issued requiring registration within 3 business days of the date of the inspection;
- Where the dog has not been kept within the region for more than 14 days the Notice is to be issued requiring registration within 14 days of the date of the inspection;
- Should, that Notice not be complied with the owners be issued with an Infringement Notice to the value of two (2) penalty units for each dog identified as not having its registration paid.
The confirmation of a person keeping excess numbers of animals at any of the properties attended, without any approval from Council to do so, will result in the following actions by Council:
- The owners and or keepers of the animals will be issued a Notice in accordance with the requirements of the Lockyer Valley Regional Council Local Law No. 2 (Animal Management) 2008 requiring the lodgement of an application to keep the excess numbers of animals within 14 days; and
- Should that Notice not be complied with, an Infringement Notice to the value of five (5) penalty units will be issued to the owner / keeper of the identified animals for keeping excess numbers of animals without approval.
The programs are conducted between the hours of 8.00 am and 5.00 pm on business days only.
Council representatives are clearly identified by way of Lockyer Valley Regional Council Identification Documentation.
A copy of the resolution will be available for inspection and may be obtained from LVRC at no cost.
Council encourages all dog owners within the Lockyer Valley Regional Council to ensure that all dogs kept on their properties are registered and microchipped at all times in accordance with the Animal Management (Cats and Dogs) Act 2008.