Animal Management Act
To view this act, please follow the link below to the Queensland Government website:
From 1 July 2009, Queensland Government legislation requires that cats be registered as well as dogs.
Cats and Dogs must be microchipped when:
- They are sold (seller responsibility); or
- Given away (responsibility of person giving the animal away); and
- Before reaching 12 weeks of age
If your cat or dog was over 12 weeks old before 1 July 2009 and you are not selling it or giving it away, you do not need to microchip it.
Please visit the Registration and Microchipping page for more information.
- Local Law No.2 Animal Management 2011 (PDF, 1.2MB)
- Subordinate Local Law No.2 Animal Management 2011 (PDF, 1MB)